People love a good period drama. The most recent mega-successful example of the genre is Downton Abbey, which has captivated British and American audiences alike. However, Downton Abbey is far from the only period drama worth watching. And, as it’s only available on Netflix in Canada, Australia, and Japan, you’ll probably want to know what other period dramas are out there. Here’s our list of the best period dramas available to watch on Netflix right now.
1. The DuchessThe Duchess is a 2008 drama about English aristocrat Georgiana Cavendish, the Duchess of Devonshire. Keira Knightley takes the lead role. She is ably supported by Ralph Fiennes, Hayley Atwell, Charlotte Rampling, and Dominic Cooper. The plot takes you on a journey through the Duchess’ loveless marriage, the sexual double-standards of the time, and the poor treatment of women in the 18th century.
2. The CrownThe Crown is one of the best Netflix originals. It tells the story of the life of current British monarch, Queen Elizabeth II. The first season starts in 1947 when Elizabeth marries Prince Philip and ends with Princess Margaret’s engagement to Peter Townsend in 1955. As the series progresses, the modern day comes into focus, making it less of a period drama. The fourth season features the election of Margaret Thatcher in 1979. And in case you’re interested, Queen Elizabeth HAS watched the show. She reportedly enjoyed it, but found some aspects to be “too heavily dramatized.”
3. Juana InésFor the fourth show on our list, we depart European shores and head to 17th century colonial Mexico. Juana Inés was one of the most important figures in both the Spanish Golden Age and Mexican classical literature. She was a nun, scholar, poet, and philosopher who won plaudits for battling the entrenched dominance of men in the religious and scientific worlds. This seven-part series is filmed in Spanish, so make sure you turn on the subtitles or learn Spanish using these free apps.
5. The TudorsThe British royal family perfectly lends itself to period dramas, and The Tudors is the second show on the list that uses them as inspiration. This show takes you back to 16th-century England and the reign of Henry VIII. The four series each cover an important aspect of the king’s life. His fallout with the pope, his marriage to Anne Boleyn, the reformation revolts, and the siege of Boulogne all enjoy ample coverage. The Tudors received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Drama Series in 2007.
8. The ParadiseWe’ll continue the list back in Victorian Britain. The Paradise is set in the country’s first department store in 1875. It uses Émile Zola’s novel Au Bonheur des Dames for inspiration. In many ways, it’s a traditional rags-to-riches story. A Scottish woman called Denise Lovett arrives at the store and is immediately considered to be a rising star by the owner, John Moray. The story follows her battles with her co-workers, her fascination with the luxury of modern life, and her feud with the daughter of the shop’s benefactor who wants to marry Moray. The series ran for two seasons and 16 episodes.
11. Call Me FrancisCall Me Francis chronicles Pope Francis’ rise as a religious leader during Argentina’s Dirty War between 1974 and 1983. The war saw 30,000 people disappear, the majority of whom were never relocated. The series begins with the future Pope living as a Jesuit in his hometown and ends with him negotiating deals between the government and the armed uprising. Call Me Francis consists of just one season and four episodes. And it’s in Spanish, so again, you’ll probably need to use subtitles.
More Awesome Netflix RecommendationsPeriod dramas are more popular than ever. In this article, we’ve only scratched the surface of what’s available on Netflix. If you’d like to do your own research, try using Netflix’s secret codes. The code for “Period Pieces” is 12123. And if you have enjoyed our period drama recommendations, make sure you check out some of the other genres we’ve previously covered. To get you started, read our list of the best British crime dramas and the best Nordic dramas. Enjoy! Read the full article: The 12 Best Period Dramas to Watch on Netflix
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 11:00